In simple terms, digital marketing is the promotion of products and services online using digital channels such as Google search, paid online advertising, social media and even digital TV.
Where digital marketing differs from traditional marketing is the fact that using digital marketing you are able to organise and analyse marketing campaigns to see what is working and what is not and refine campaigns to increase the return on investment.
Marketing has always been about connecting with your customers at the right time in the right place. With potential customers spending more and more time online you need to connect with this audience online and this is where digital marketing comes in.
There are many ways you can connect with people online and we have listed the main areas below.
Search Engine Optimisation (SEO)
This is the process of optimising your website to rank on the first page of search engine results page for terms related to your products or services. Only 5% of searchers go past the first page of search engines, so if your website is not on the first page you are missing out on 95% of potential traffic.
In order to rank on the first page of the major search engines such as Google and Bing you need to have great content that is well written which includes words and phrases used by people who are searching for your products and services.
The content should be written for users rather than search engines and you should always focus on quality rather than quantity.
If your content is good make it easy for people to share the content and link to it. This will give your content more authority and your website will rank higher.
SEO is a highly effective tool in your marketing arsenal that can bring excellent results if done properly, and once you appreciate the value of organic SEO you can expand your online presents and generate more relevant traffic to your website and generate more customers.
This method of advertising has many formats, but the most common type of paid advertising is known as Pay Per Click. Google AdWords is the most widely used. Using this method, you are able to construct adverts and bid on relevant keywords related to your products or services. These ads are displayed for your chosen keywords, but you are only charged when a searcher clicks on your ad, hence the term pay per click or PPC. There are many other forms of paid advertising such as display, banner ads and social media advertising.
This type of advertising is great for getting an instant response and can produce excellent results if implemented and monitored correctly.
Social Media Marketing
Social media marketing has increased massively in popularity over the last few years and refers to the process of gaining traffic and branding through the use of social media. Social media marketing is a very powerful way for businesses of all sizes to reach out to potential customers and interact with them and turn them from prospects into customers.
The main social media platforms are:
- Facebook - Facebook now has more than 2 billion users and comprises of the largest blend of demographics of any social media platform. The marketing and targeting options that are available with Facebook make it an extraordinary platform for your business to connect with your potential customers.
- YouTube - YouTube is a massive video platform with over 1.5 billion users and is the second largest search engine as well as being owned by Google. Video marketing is increasing in importance with traffic not only coming from YouTube itself, but YouTube videos ranking in Google search results.
- Instagram - Instagram has over 800 million users and over 300 million daily active users who are sharing photos and videos. This platform offers business a great way to engage with potential customers and with under 40% of marketers using Instagram there are still big opportunities on this platform.
- Twitter - Twitter has over 313 million active users with a young demographic and while it is easy to setup a twitter page for your business and come up with a Twitter handle, then send out your first tweet, it is much more difficult to grow a real following. In order to build a good Twitter following you need to engage with your target audience and interact with them.
- Pinterest - Pinterest has 200 million active users and is an online pin board where users can upload visual pieces of multimedia which are mostly images. You can create as many boards as you like and is a great way of organising collections of pictures, which users can interact with by liking, commenting and repining the content. Pinterest can be used on desktop or mobile but if you use an app on Android or IOS it really opens up the platform.
- Linkedin - Linkedin now has around 550 million users which are mostly business users and it is a great way to market. You can create a personal profile and Business company page with Linkedin. As with any marketing platform you need to define your goals before you start marketing. This could be lead generation or raising your brand awareness or both.
There are many ways you can use Linkedin to market your business and make useful contacts. You can use Linkedin own marketing services which include Sponsored content, Sponsored inmail or their Text ads which can be used like pay per click or CPM ads.
There are many more social media platforms that you can include in your digital marketing strategy, but the above are a good place to start.
If you would like help with your digital marketing then contact us and we will be happy to help you.
Using the latest software our specialists can analyse your website and current digital marketing efforts giving you a detailed plan of action to really drive leads to your business.
We offer a range of short-term rolling contracts for our clients that can be modified to suit your individual budget and needs as required.
At Pinnacle we don't hide behind jargon. With regular reports and personal interaction you'll know exactly what's going on with your online marketing.